Get up, Oceanside-Camp Pendleton! Let’s get you caught up to start this day on an informed note. Here’s everything you need to know in town today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Wind in the afternoon. High: 68 Low: 44.
Oceanside Chamber presents Operation Appreciation at the Oceanside Pier Amphitheater on May 21! A day of fun and appreciation for all active duty military members and their families as they are treated to a day of free food, entertainment and a kids fun zone. This event is open to the public, with food and entertainment zone tickets available for purchase. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. MORE INFORMATION
Here are today’s top five stories at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Get ready for some super moon action this weekend! The May Full Moon, also known as the “Flower Moon”, peaks on Sunday and Monday. It is also the first of two total lunar eclipses visible to Oceanside residents this year and will turn the May full moon blood red.
Like all celestial events, the possibility of seeing the Stellar Lunar Event is of course dependent on the weather. The National Weather Service is currently forecasting mostly clear skies Sunday evening, with scattered fog along the coast. (Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch)
- Camp Pendleton Fire Department reports 300 acres burned right now. The CPFD is actively fighting the fire. At 4:40 p.m., the Camp Pendleton Fire Department reported a wildfire near Romeo 3 Training Area. Smoke may be visible, but there is no fire threat to the staff or structures. Firefighters are on site to contain the blaze. (Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch)
- Majority of Oceanside City Council approved permit for business specializing in biodegradable detergents and sanitizers settle near the Peacock district. The approval came despite concerns raised by several nearby residents about the storage of more than 20,000 gallons of corrosive and oxidizing materials located within a few hundred yards of their homes. (Coast News)
- On the morning of Sunday May 8, Sheriff’s deputies and the Vista Fire Department responded to a traffic accident involving a vehicle and a motorcyclist at the intersection of W. Vista Way and Emerald Drive in the town of Vista. A motorcyclist was traveling northbound on Emerald Drive and collided with a westbound crossing vehicle on West Vista Way. The unidentified man was taken to Palomar Medical Center by ambulance and is currently undergoing surgery for his injuries. The driver of the vehicle was not injured. (Press Release Office)
- Marine Corps First Lieutenant Riley Compton is a neighborhood All-Star for many reasons. They range from defending America’s freedom in her third year serving at Camp Pendleton to earning Navy Female Athlete of the Year honors for her bobsledding skills. “Receiving this award is amazing,” Compton said. “I still can’t believe it, but it gives me a platform that I can share to empower other women and Marines to pursue multiple things and be in the Marine Corps.” (FOX 5 San Diego)
From our sponsor:
Hey, Oceanside-Camp Pendleton — need to do something in your house? Check out our new Local Businesses in Oceanside-Camp Pendleton feature to find the best local professionals for gardening, plumbing, house cleaning and more!
Today at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Setting Up Celebration of Life – North County Veterans Association (10:30 a.m.)
- OHS PLC: Specialty – Oceanside High (3 p.m.)
- Celebration of Life – North County Veterans Association (3:30 p.m.)
- massage – Oceanside High (6 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Visit Oceanside: “Mural, mural on the wall… walks at O’side are the most colorful of them all! 🐋🌊 – Repost from @emygin – – - - - - - - - - - - #osidebeatsinside #alldreamswelcome #letsgetoside #oceansidemurals #northcountymurals #muralhuntin…” (Instagram)
- City of Oceanside – Government: “The primary election is June 7. For the upcoming election, every active registered voter will receive a mail-in ballot. Ballots have already begun to be mailed out. Elections are no longer a one day event and there is no…” (Facebook)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton: “Looking for a job? We’ve got you covered with two upcoming career fairs taking place on base: May 12 is the MilSpouse Career Symposium and there’s a hiring event on May 19 for First Responders. Find out details and how to register at the calendar link…” (Instagram)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton – Athletics: “Registration for the Adult Soccer League is underway!! ⚽️Register your team today! This is a fun recreational league open to all authorized base customers. $350 per team! For more information, contact Ian Seau at 760-6195. ⚽️” (Facebook)
- City of Oceanside – Government: “Join us online today to learn more about #ZeroWaste projects at Oceanside:” (Facebook)
- Oceanside Chamber of Commerce: “Mark your calendars! In two weeks, we will be hosting our first Lunch & Learn of the year on May 24. This will be the first in a series of six seminars being held at the Chamber Office (928 N. Coast Highway, Oceanside). this month’s session will be…” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Oceanside Adventures – Daily Year-Round Whale and Dolphin Excursions — (Visit Website)
- Institute of Healthcare – Become an EMT in just 4-8 weeks — (Visit website)
- Free real estate and economy update (May 11)
- Live! @ the Plateau Summer Art and Concert Series (May 13)
- San Clemente Award-winning annual garden tour (May 14)
- Live from La Costa: Summer Concert Series (May 14)
- Seminar on social security (17 May)
- Add your event
All right, all is well for today. See you tomorrow for another update!
— Lisa Frost
About me: I’m the community editor for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton patch and love sharing all things Oceanside. It’s a privilege to help locals and those who visit our amazing and diverse city stay informed about the local news, people and stories that shape our community. Explore all that Patch has to offer Oceansider:
Questions? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at email@example.com.
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org