‘Still in shock’: the shock of some media over Porter’s claim to victory | Amanda meade
AFR legal editor Michael Pelly was right when he wrote that the media are “still in shock” following Christian Porter’s announcement on Monday.
We couldn’t agree more. The former attorney general’s attempts to portray the end of the libel case as a “humiliating setback” for the CBA have in fact worked with some media.
Although he failed to secure an apology or retraction from the public broadcaster, Porter sought to claim victory in a bullish press conference in court. He watched, Pelly wrote, “Looks more like a politician asserting that blacks were white than a litigant asserting victory”.
The Australian has reported numerous negative stories on ABC, all denied by the broadcaster, including that chief executive David Anderson apologized to Porter outside the mediation room. Earlier, Oz claimed lawyers for ABC were forced to apologize for an “untimely and inaccurate” tweet from Four Corners executive producer Sally Neighbor.
Weekly Beast understands that the legal notice according to Oz was an apology unrelated to Neighbor, a point she made on Twitter.
As for Anderson apologizing to Porter, we understand the GM didn’t apologize, but he shook Porter’s hand in good faith. The handshake sort of translated into a “face-to-face apology to Christian Porter” in Australia as the spinners got overheated.
An ABC spokesperson told Beast: “The ABC has entered into mediation with Mr. Porter in good faith. There are confidentiality obligations regarding the mediation process and we are disappointed with some of the inaccuracies that have been reported by other media in recent days.
In March, Australian legal commentator Chris Merrit was so certain the ABC would lose the libel case he hired them to print.
“The big issue is not whether the national broadcaster is going to lose; it’s almost a given, ”he wrote. “That’s how much he loses, how many documents are revealed in court and whether the Federal Court will rule that the national broadcaster and one of his most famous journalists have been motivated by wickedness.
This week, Merritt, vice chairman of the Rule of Law Institute of Australia, did not revise his bold prediction, but said the settlement can only be explained in political and perhaps financial terms.
“Without a clear winner and a loser, neither team will be able to put this behind them,” he said on Friday. “It’s going to haunt Milligan and the ABC, just like their indisputable slander, will haunt Porter.”
We can add that his March prediction of a Porter’s victory might haunt him as well.
ABC gets an “opportunity”
After two days of mediation across the table from Porter, Anderson will appear before Senate estimates on Monday after being recalled for questioning over Porter’s libel suit.
He’s already spent three hours in front of senators last week, answering questions on everything from Porter to ABC’s coverage of Gaza.
Anderson is expected to be grilled over the details of the confidential deal with Porter after the Australian announced Porter would receive “a sum of around $ 100,000 from the ABC” – a claim the ABC denies.
“The ABC has not paid and will not pay any amount to Mr. Porter,” a spokesperson said.
“ABC chief executive David Anderson has been invited to appear before the Senate Estimates Committee on Monday, June 7 and will have the opportunity to respond to a range of issues,” a spokesperson told Beast.
“The original reporting on this case remains unchanged in the public records and we support our journalists and the work they do in the public interest.
“Our staff are aware of their responsibilities under ABC’s guidelines for personal use of social media and the processes in place to ensure adherence to those guidelines. “
We imagine questions will be asked about ABC staff’s use of social media, especially Twitter, which has caused some drama this week.
Excellent message, “mind-boggling” presentation
It started as a leading public service promotion of the Nine Network to encourage Australians to get vaccinated against Covid.
A parade of nine stars including Georgie Gardner, Scott Cam, Karl Stefanovic and Richard Wilkins faced the cameras to say they were getting a hit for the #GetVaccinated campaign.
But the promo was deaf. It didn’t contain a single diverse face and was immediately criticized on social media. As one reviewer put it: “The message is great but the lack of cultural diversity is mind-boggling.”
Where was Gamilaroi’s wife and Today Entertainment correspondent Brooke Boney in the “Our shot” promo? How could they choose a uniformly Anglo line-up of Liz Hayes, Eddie McGuire, Rebecca Maddern, Tom Steinfort, Allison Langdon, Tara Brown, Leila McKinnon, Erin Molan, Peter Overton, Shaynna Blaze and Hamish & Andy without noticing the omission blatant?
Nine TV director Michael Healy said there would be “a number of promotions rolled out during this campaign”.
“As we are in the midst of a global pandemic, 9Network continues to support community awareness regarding COVID and to be vaccinated, this is our chance to get Australia back online,” said Healy said.
Late Wednesday there was indeed another promo, or more specifically a hastily edited original promo. The update featured two Asian Australians, Kev and Teng from Nine show travel guides, Sarah Abo and Boney, 60-minute journalist of Syrian origin.
The embarrassing promo came a week after Nine wowed the industry by launch an on-air campaign with the hashtag #GetVaccinated as a community message.
We reported in April that the Morrison government’s new broadcasting bill had allowed Foxtel to halve its commitment to producing Australian drama.
Government legislation, currently being debated in the House, cuts Foxtel’s requirement to spend 10% of its drama budget on Australian content to 5%.
Labor arts spokesman Tony Burke unveiled the plan this week, saying his fury was not against Foxtel, which has produced brilliant drama over the years.
“Productions like Love My Way, starring Claudia Karvan, Asher Keddie and Dan Wyllie, really show Australians doing the kind of long-running, complex drama that Americans have started with shows like The Sopranos and Six Feet Under.” , Burke said.
What Burke was angry with was the government’s plan to reduce the requirement for free TV for scripted dramas – and cut Foxtel’s engagement in drama in half in the midst of a pandemic.
“All the times! They wait for an industry to get down on its knees, then say, ‘Oh, this is a good time to attack them,'” he told the house. “They do this for free TV, they do it in CBA cuts and then they use the fact that those cuts were made to say, ‘Oh, now Foxtel is at a competitive disadvantage. We need to reduce their obligation.
Foxtel praised the cut, saying it will not alter its commitment to Australian production. “We believe that the reduction in [drama] The bond will give Foxtel the flexibility to invest in Australian content across a variety of genres, ”a spokesperson said.
The Broadcasting Law Amendment Bill will be further considered at a Senate committee hearing on Monday.